Implemented Difficult to download

Status
Not open for further replies.

au lait

Customer
Hi,

I've noticed it several times. Since I work with it regularly, however, it is ok for me. But many others have problems. Downloading is complicated. It should be based on what many people are used to (XFRM).

Screen_20180831085017.webp

the button "Download" is dominant. it should not refer to a new page. here a popup should open where you can download immediately! similar to the
Screen_20180831085400.webp
many people overlook the list below and the "download" next to it is not as dominant as the button above

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Hello @au lait,

Thank you for your suggestion for DragonByte eCommerce. Your request will be reviewed by a member of our team shortly.

Unless there are any problems preventing these features from being added to the product, this thread will not receive another reply until it is time to review logged feature requests for implementation.

We appreciate you taking the time to help us improve our products!

- DragonByte Tech Staff

What you’re suggesting is already a feature, although if you do turn it on in the AdminCP, you cannot use the Attachment download type since attachments can have multiple downloads per version.

why is there an unnecessary detour via an overlay? Why doesn't the download start immediately?

View attachment 7922
Two reasons:

1. Downloads can have multiple product versions, f.ex. XF1 and XF2 versions that can have different attachments.
2. If you use Attachments, there are sometimes multiple attachments available, so we need an overlay to let users decide which attachment to download.

There may be improvements to be made in terms of "if there's only one product version and only one attachment, skip directly to attachment download", I'll have a look to see if that would be feasible.

v1.1.2 is in testing here @ this site now.

I've removed the restrictions on the "simplified download interface" option, and I've removed the overlay when clicking the "Download" link from your previous message.

What this means for downloads with attachments is:
  • If you have 1 product version for a download, and the version has 1 attachment, it directly downloads the attachment
  • If you have 1 product version for a download, and the version has 2 attachments, it shows the old version chooser, but not in an overlay
  • If you have 2+ product versions for a download, and the versions have any number of attachments (greater than 0), it shows the old version chooser, but not in an overlay
I'll keep it in testing for a little bit here, and release it either later today or tomorrow.

In the list "Your licenses" there is so much space on the right for a download button

it is not possible to insert a button there - which links directly to the current version. or an overlay with version selection? (For Attachments)

Many users complain that the download is too complicated, too opaque!

by the way - so do I. This add-on is really great! a thousand times better than ChrisD but unfortunately here is a very big weakness. that was better with ChrisD

Link to the users who complain :(
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/login-as-user-lau2.153010/

screen_20180831085400-png.7920

Screen_20180831024001.webp

It's unlikely that a download button will be added there, because clicking through on the license information page will display a warning message if the customer needs to fill out license info, and allow them to fill it out there and then.

With Chris' product manager, this is less of a concern as it only allows for filling in the Site URL, so that mod does not have to contend with the fact that there's a potentially infinite amount of fields users will have to fill before downloading.

Also, in regards to free add-ons, if you want to skip the process of requiring checkout, you could tick the "has demo" box and then change the "Download demo" phrase on the product release page. You lose the ability to require users to fill in a site URL of course, but it skips the checkout process.

What I may also look into is immediately processing the cart if the user clicks Checkout and they have only free products in their cart.

Also, in regards to free add-ons, if you want to skip the process of requiring checkout, you could tick the "has demo" box and then change the "Download demo" phrase on the product release page. You lose the ability to require users to fill in a site URL of course, but it skips the checkout process.

What I may also look into is immediately processing the cart if the user clicks Checkout and they have only free products in their cart.
This is just one problem - that others are the cumbersome way to get to the download, no matter if paid or free.

But yes! Every simplification is certainly good :) Thank you for your efforts.

If I were to add a button to that list in the way you show above, what do you think would be the best option in case the user has not yet filled out required license fields:

1) Hide the button entirely
2) Show the button but make it disabled (same as on the "license view" page just now)

Let me know your thoughts.

something different

he write:
But when you upgrade an addon, like Top Posters of the Month, each time there is an upgrade, I have to enter the URL of the forum where it will be used again, even though I've already entered that for the previous two versions of the same upgrade. Do you see what I mean?
read more -> https://xenforo.com/community/threads/login-as-user-lau2.153010/post-1278161

If I were to add a button to that list in the way you show above, what do you think would be the best option in case the user has not yet filled out required license fields:

1) Hide the button entirely
2) Show the button but make it disabled (same as on the "license view" page just now)

Let me know your thoughts.
neither! As usual in XF an error message with a link that it has to fill this out. leave the button active so that the user remains accustomed to it... Maybe change the color to gray?

That is simply not true, if that was true I would have been lynched by our customers as I update mods quite frequently here.

neither! As usual in XF an error message with a link that it has to fill this out. leave the button active so that the user remains accustomed to it... Maybe change the color to gray?
That's not going to be possible, since the act of changing the button to grey will also disable it. What I can do, is add a new "banner" next to the title (similar to "Outdated" or "Not yet downloaded") that says "Missing license info".

EDIT: Actually, turns out I can do that, so I'll leave the button looking like it'd disabled, but it'll be clickable and an error will pop up.

Last edited:
That's not going to be possible, since the act of changing the button to grey will also disable it. What I can do, is add a new "banner" next to the title (similar to "Outdated" or "Not yet downloaded") that says "Missing license info".
But the button should always stay there! So that it remains a clear line. Then take care of the necessary information elsewhere.

That is simply not true, if that was true I would have been lynched by our customers as I update mods quite frequently here.
hmm:unsure:

I've uploaded the revised v1.1.2 to this site now.

Changes since the previous build of v1.1.2:
  • Address is no longer required if the total cost of the order is 0 (but address can be added later via the Account interface, if invoices are desired)
  • Invoices can no longer be generated for orders without an address
  • Sub-total and Sales tax is no longer displayed on the Checkout screen if the total cost of the order is 0
  • Coupon and VAT input fields are no longer displayed on the Checkout screen if the total cost of the order is 0
  • A "Download" button has been added for all digital products in the license list
  • A new information label has been added for digital products if required license information is missing
  • A new error message has been added to the simplified download list interface if required license information is missing, instead of just showing empty drop-downs
You can check out these changes here @ this site, let me know if you find any problems :)

I don't like the fact that the URL is no longer necessary with free add-ons! I already want to know where it is used. Even though I am aware that basically everything can be written down.

the rest sounds great! You are fast :)

Edit:
Looks great (maybe a little more distance above the button) also works so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back