Question Why aren't points earned based on usergroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charizard

Customer
One of the reasons why I switched over from BD Bank to DB Credits was because of the ability to set how much points are earned for different user groups.

I read on the DB Credits thread that this was possible and I even asked some people who purchased it and they said the same.

It does not work as accurate as the details I received.

You can set an event to earn based on the usergroup you're in, but you have to set up multiple events to achieve giving someone in a specific usergroup 10 points when the normal user group gives members 2 points (original group to 2 points and the additional group to 8 points. both adds up to 10 to the person in the spicific usergroup gets 10 points (2 + 8) instead of the normal 2).

Why wasn't it based on earning points based on the usergroup you're actually in instead of having to be in multiple usergroups just to get a higher amount of credits if you're added to a specific usergroup to earn more than the average usergroup? So messy things like this can be avoided? It just floods up the transaction log and members wonder why they have separate earned credits.

Another thing is, if a low quality poster spams the forum and you want to add them to a usergroup where they earn less, that isn't possible because the system isn't designed that way. So for a premium credits add-on, this is lacking one of the most important features I needed and misunderstood when I bought.

Also, why can members donate credits to themselves? .-.

Why wasn't it based on earning points based on the usergroup you're actually in instead of having to be in multiple usergroups just to get a higher amount of credits if you're added to a specific usergroup to earn more than the average usergroup?
It is, if you have set the Event Triggering option to Best in the XenForo Options. The system will then inspect

So messy things like this can be avoided? It just floods up the transaction log and members wonder why they have separate earned credits.

Another thing is, if a low quality poster spams the forum and you want to add them to a usergroup where they earn less, that isn't possible because the system isn't designed that way.
That is never going to be possible unless you also remove them from the higher earning group. It doesn't make any sense to have a system where "highest earning EXCEPT if the user is a member of this group but NOT if user is member of that group [...]" that would become an untenable mess.

It is, if you have set the Event Triggering option to Best in the XenForo Options. The system will then inspect
From my example above, if it's set to best, only the event that gave 8 credits would have been triggered and not the 2 credit event. So if you had to post 200 characters to trigger the 2 credit event, it basically wouldn't work. Only the 8 credit event works.

My 2 credit event is for people who have typed up 200 characters.
My 8 credit event is for people who have typed up 800 characters.

Only the 8 credit for 800 characters event works.

Sorry, I am still not seeing how this is not working as intended. If both 200 and 800 character events are set to "Below Minimum Characters Handling: Exclude entire event" then if the 800 event is not met, it will revert to the 200 event.

If one or both of them is set to "Prevent the event trigger" then the behaviour you highlight might happen, which is also working as intended.

Sorry, I am still not seeing how this is not working as intended. If both 200 and 800 character events are set to "Below Minimum Characters Handling: Exclude entire event" then if the 800 event is not met, it will revert to the 200 event.

If one or both of them is set to "Prevent the event trigger" then the behaviour you highlight might happen, which is also working as intended.
Both are set to "Exclude entire event".

I think I see the problem. Unfortunately the change isn't easy, so I haven't been able to outright hotfix the existing version.

Instead, I'd like to ask you to try the following:
1. Re-download the latest version
3. From the new download, upload this file: /library/DBTech/Credits/Model/Event.beta.php and rename it to Event.php in the same folder on your server
3. On your site, rename /library/DBTech/Credits/Model/Event.php to Event.php.bak
4. Let me know if this issue has been solved and whether you encounter any other problems as a result of this change.

If you do run into any problems, rename the new Event.php file to Event.php.bak2 and rename the original backup file back to Event.php and let me know how to replicate the problem you're running into so I can diagnose and resolve it.

Sorry for the complex instructions, I figured this was the best way of both assisting you and making sure I don't potentially break the mod for everyone :)

I think I see the problem. Unfortunately the change isn't easy, so I haven't been able to outright hotfix the existing version.

Instead, I'd like to ask you to try the following:
1. Re-download the latest version
3. From the new download, upload this file: /library/DBTech/Credits/Model/Event.beta.php and rename it to Event.php in the same folder on your server
3. On your site, rename /library/DBTech/Credits/Model/Event.php to Event.php.bak
4. Let me know if this issue has been solved and whether you encounter any other problems as a result of this change.

If you do run into any problems, rename the new Event.php file to Event.php.bak2 and rename the original backup file back to Event.php and let me know how to replicate the problem you're running into so I can diagnose and resolve it.

Sorry for the complex instructions, I figured this was the best way of both assisting you and making sure I don't potentially break the mod for everyone :)

This seems to be working but the "Post Negation Amount" didn't work for deleting the post. Post Amount and Post Negation Amount were set to the same value but deleting the post found a value from another event that wasn't the "best" for the requirements.

Can you be more specific with the details of the amounts and the negation amount you found it used?

Can you be more specific with the details of the amounts and the negation amount you found it used?
I have an event to gain 7 credits (usergroup specific and my account was in the usergroup) and another event to gain 3 credits. The event to gain 7 credits require you pass XXX characters. The event to gain 3 credits require you pass XX characters. Both are post events.

I posted twice. One with XX characters and another with XXX characters. I gained 10 credits in total (7 + 3 for the events).

I deleted the two posts and only 6 credits were subtracted from my account.

Post Amount and Post Negation Amount are the same value so deleting the posts should have subtracted the 10 credits from my account. I permanently deleted the posts because I know soft-deleting does not remove the credits.

Are you sure there's not a character amount being configured as well? It makes absolutely no sense that 6 credits would be subtracted if the negation amounts are 7 and 3.

Are you sure there's not a character amount being configured as well? It makes absolutely no sense that 6 credits would be subtracted if the negation amounts are 7 and 3.

There is a minimum character limit for each post event to earn credits. None of the posts are being edited to add/remove characters. They're just deleted. I'm copy/pasting to test this on my live board.

You can also reproduce this because I've tested it twice now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonByte Credits

XenForo 1.5.3+ XenForo 2.0.x XenForo 2.1.x XenForo 2.2.x XenForo 2.3.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
5.00 star(s) 5 ratings
Back